Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fergie: "I'm Not Claiming to Be Sober"

Fergie: "I'm Not Claiming to Be Sober"

Fergie is one of pop music's most famous recovering addicts, having kicked a dangerous crystal meth addiction in her twenties. However, the 35-year-old singer tells Glamour that she's not a poster girl for sobriety -- because she's not strictly sober.

"I'm not claiming to be sober. I think that would be misleading," Fergie tells Katie Couric in Glamour's Women of the Year Issue. "I drink alcohol. My father has a vineyard, and (the wine is) really delicious, by the way."

The Black Eyed Peas frontwoman admits that she's not following the traditional course for recovering drug addicts, but says she's doing what's best for her.

"For most addicts, they would advise never to have any sort of substance," she tells Couric. "I just have my own journey, and I am very blessed to this day to be alive."

Organizations like Crystal Meth Anonymous do advise addicts to abstain from all drugs, because there's a danger of substituting one addiction for another. But it sounds like Fergie has done the most important work an addict can do: healing the pain at the root of her addiction. In the past, she's said that meth was "the hardest boyfriend I ever had to break up with," and that she "dug deep" to find out why she was so hooked.

"A lot of it was being a child actor," Fergie (who starred on the kids' variety show Kids Incorporated back when she was just Stacy Ferguson) admitted in a 2006 interview. "I learned to suppress feelings."

These day, Fergie is taking good care of herself, physically and emotionally. She tells Glamour that she has a "really good therapist," keeps in shape as an investment "into my self-esteem," and has learned to stop looking to other people for validation.  (She also says in the interview that she and husband Josh Duhamel got through tabloid rumors of his infidelity by "just by knowing that our relationship was stronger than that.")

"I think a lot of young teenagers try to get (self-esteem) from accolades from other people, or boys," says Fergie, "and what you learn as you get older is that you have to create that within yourself."

Do you think it's okay for recovering addicts to have an occasional drink? Chime in below!

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/fergie-im-not-claiming-be-sober/1-a-295491

Cristina Dumitru Daisy Fuentes Dania Ramirez Danica Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment